Omsonic/dBs Stochastic Inspiration Generator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

phinland
Common Wiggler

Re: Omsonic/dBs Stochastic Inspiration Generator

Post by phinland » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:39 am

Naenyn wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:03 pm
phinland wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:00 am
As I allude to above, we're reviewing the design of these and I've just checked––the new versions are...32mm deep for both main board and the expander (and that's including the ribbon cable) so you're fine! :-)
Ohh that's fantastic! Thank you so much for confirming that. Now I don't have to rearrange. Phew!

Now I just need you guys to take my :75:. :lol:

Edit: As I understand things, the main module will be available really any time now, it sounds like. However, the expansion was a bit longer away. Is that true? Wondering how far out the expander will be, roughly.
Well, it's a little complex. As I say, most important is that we can manufacture vastly more quickly than under the old regime, and furthermore this is Main Units and Expanders in parallel, so you can buy both together (although before the public sale we have to clear the list first which shouldn't take too long given the speed increases).

However what's holding things up are some legal loose ends. That means it's harder to give an estimate on when we can start shipping, but suffice it to say as soon as these are sorted they'll be shifting. Believe me, no one is keener than I to see that happen.

thingue
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thingue » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:07 am

phinland wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:18 am
UPDATE 4

More good news!

While we sort the last of the boring legal stuff in preparation for the forthcoming Big Announcement on the future of Stochastic (and other, new modules!) production, I'm very pleased to announce that we have back from the fabricators some of the new Stochastic Rev E design models! These now arrive with all their surface-mount components already in place, in under a week from the date we put in the order. This alone revolutionises the manufacturing speed we can achieve since we then only need complete the build by adding the through-hole components (e.g. knobs, sliders, buttons, jacks), rather then everything happening in-house.

I will detail more on Rev E (as well as what the E might stand for) in the Big Announcement but the most important point is that they are identical in every way except they are vastly easier to make and thus vastly more scalable to meet demand.

All will be revealed (including new front and back pictures!) when I make the full statement but things might have appeared to go quiet here so I wanted to check in because I know how long some of you have waited, and this is not something I ever, ever want to have happen again.

Ta ta for now,
cheers,
Phin

p.s. here's a teaser of the slightly updated panel design with the 2ry / 3ry function hints (because even I kept forgetting what they were, and I designed the bloody thing!)

stochastic Detail.jpg
So happy to read this !!
I've been waiting a long time to get this module.
What is the best way to be informed right when it's ready and order one ?
Don't want to miss it.

Thanks !

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:08 am

thingue wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:07 am
phinland wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:18 am
UPDATE 4

More good news!

While we sort the last of the boring legal stuff in preparation for the forthcoming Big Announcement on the future of Stochastic (and other, new modules!) production, I'm very pleased to announce that we have back from the fabricators some of the new Stochastic Rev E design models! These now arrive with all their surface-mount components already in place, in under a week from the date we put in the order. This alone revolutionises the manufacturing speed we can achieve since we then only need complete the build by adding the through-hole components (e.g. knobs, sliders, buttons, jacks), rather then everything happening in-house.

I will detail more on Rev E (as well as what the E might stand for) in the Big Announcement but the most important point is that they are identical in every way except they are vastly easier to make and thus vastly more scalable to meet demand.

All will be revealed (including new front and back pictures!) when I make the full statement but things might have appeared to go quiet here so I wanted to check in because I know how long some of you have waited, and this is not something I ever, ever want to have happen again.

Ta ta for now,
cheers,
Phin

p.s. here's a teaser of the slightly updated panel design with the 2ry / 3ry function hints (because even I kept forgetting what they were, and I designed the bloody thing!)

stochastic Detail.jpg
So happy to read this !!
I've been waiting a long time to get this module.
What is the best way to be informed right when it's ready and order one ?
Don't want to miss it.

Thanks !
Same question! :hyper:
Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

phinland
Common Wiggler

Post by phinland » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:37 am

Hey
WarpHead wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:08 am
thingue wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:07 am
Great to hear your interest, thank you so much!

The best thing to do is wait just a few more days while we finalise the legal details surrounding the solution to the manufacturing issues we've been having with omsonic. Once that's done I'll be detailing everything in the Big Announcement, including what people who want the module should do. However, please don't worry, you will definitely be able to get one––there's no chance that you will 'miss' the opportunity! Essentially, if you're already on the list, you'll be contacted and if you're not, then as soon as the list is cleared then they will go on public sale.

Thanks again,
all the best,
Phin

Lifeformmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lifeformmusic » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Great, can’t wait!

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:39 pm

Excellent news!
Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:30 am

Gotta admit... all these posts about legal issues have me really curious about what the problem is.
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

phinland
Common Wiggler

Post by phinland » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:04 am

Naenyn wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:30 am
Gotta admit... all these posts about legal issues have me really curious about what the problem is.
Nothing sinister I assure you––just getting several ducks in a row. All will be revealed. ;)

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:35 am

Oh man this looks intriguing.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

PolarIceCaves
Veteran Wiggler

Post by PolarIceCaves » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:20 pm

Aluminum or white panels pls?

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

Post by Dunk_91 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:45 pm

PolarIceCaves wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:20 pm
+1

Can't wait to put my hands on this module :hyper:

phinland
Common Wiggler

Post by phinland » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:27 am

Dunk_91 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:45 pm
PolarIceCaves wrote:
+1
Hi both, thanks for your interest! :-)

On white/aluminium panels, essentially, I'm afraid not. At this stage we will only be offering blue or black, just because that's what's available from the fab house. If you really, really, wanted white we could possibly do it as a special order (but I can't promise). See which bit of the Big Announcement (coming soon, honestly!) applies to you and then we'll see what we can do.

Aluminium I'm afraid is not possible. It might be in the future, but we have no plans. If this changes, I'll let everyone know, but it would very likely have to be more expensive.

Finally, if panel designs did change, we'd offer the option to buy new panels.

Cheers!

naturalbornthiccums
Learning to Wiggle

Post by naturalbornthiccums » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:23 pm

looking forward to getting one with the expander and especially excited about the size :party:

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

Post by Dunk_91 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:41 pm

phinland wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:27 am
Dunk_91 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:45 pm
PolarIceCaves wrote:
+1
Hi both, thanks for your interest! :-)

On white/aluminium panels, essentially, I'm afraid not. At this stage we will only be offering blue or black, just because that's what's available from the fab house. If you really, really, wanted white we could possibly do it as a special order (but I can't promise). See which bit of the Big Announcement (coming soon, honestly!) applies to you and then we'll see what we can do.

Aluminium I'm afraid is not possible. It might be in the future, but we have no plans. If this changes, I'll let everyone know, but it would very likely have to be more expensive.

Finally, if panel designs did change, we'd offer the option to buy new panels.

Cheers!

No problem at all :)
Actually the only panel I could swap for would be an aluminium-text only one, otherwise a black or blue one will be just fine :mrgreen:

May I ask you how much of the waitinglist has been cleared as now? I'm on it since a week or so, so it will help me organizing my next shopping

phinland
Common Wiggler

Post by phinland » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:38 pm

Dunk_91 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:41 pm
May I ask you how much of the waitinglist has been cleared as now? I'm on it since a week or so, so it will help me organizing my next shopping
Hi,

As yet, only that so far cleared by omsonic, which I'm afraid is some...but not much. However, the forthcoming Big Announcement (which I'm 90% will be this coming week!) will detail absolutely everything concerning the situation, plus of course how the list will be cleared. If you are a very recent addition then I'm afraid it will take a little time to get to you, but think 'small number of weeks', certainly not the 'several months' it has, for shame, taken to date. I hope that's not too disappointing, but please rest assured (everybody!) that things really, really, really are moving rapidly behind the scenes (as I hope the contents of the announcement will show).

Cheers,
Phin

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

Post by Dunk_91 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:56 pm

phinland wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:38 pm
Dunk_91 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:41 pm
Hi,

As yet, only that so far cleared by omsonic, which I'm afraid is some...but not much. However, the forthcoming Big Announcement (which I'm 90% will be this coming week!) will detail absolutely everything concerning the situation, plus of course how the list will be cleared. If you are a very recent addition then I'm afraid it will take a little time to get to you, but think 'small number of weeks', certainly not the 'several months' it has, for shame, taken to date. I hope that's not too disappointing, but please rest assured (everybody!) that things really, really, really are moving rapidly behind the scenes (as I hope the contents of the announcement will show).

Cheers,
Phin
Ok, seems legit!

So we will wait patiently this announce and see what's coming :cloud:

auxpin
Common Wiggler

Post by auxpin » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:07 pm

phinland wrote:
...the forthcoming Big Announcement (which I'm 90% will be this coming week!)...
This is exciting news. Happy New Year :hyper:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
dual.bandcamp.com

phinland
Common Wiggler

Post by phinland » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:37 am

auxpin wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:07 pm
phinland wrote:
...the forthcoming Big Announcement (which I'm 90% will be this coming week!)...
This is exciting news. Happy New Year :hyper:
Ha, thanks dude, you too. Another big step forwards taken only an hour ago today in fact, so things are hotting up... :-)

phinland
Common Wiggler

Post by phinland » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:08 pm

(Quick) UPDATE 5

Not quite the Big Announcement (sorry, still waiting on some paperwork—all will be revealed) but I thought I’d pop in with you to show things are still moving...

...so...

...pleased to announce that a full Production Batch was ordered today! There’s a short lead time on these of course, and they have to be completed our end, but things are moving along very nicely now. :-)

Anyway, Big Announcement as soon as we get this paperwork.

devolution
Learning to Wiggle

Post by devolution » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:29 pm

Thanks for the update! Shows that my obsessive checking of the thread this week has been worth. Hyped to hear the production is moving on. One more step towards me getting this in the rack!

Naenyn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:45 pm

phinland wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:08 pm
...pleased to announce that a full Production Batch was ordered today!
Just curious. How much of the existing orders does that cover? Wondering what is included in a "batch".

Thank you for keeping us up to date! A lot of people ready to give you their :75:
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

phinland
Common Wiggler

Post by phinland » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:29 pm

devolution wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:29 pm
Thanks for the update! Shows that my obsessive checking of the thread this week has been worth. Hyped to hear the production is moving on. One more step towards me getting this in the rack!
Ha! Bless you, thank you. Yes—several big steps this week actually, as you’ll see when we go public :-)

phinland
Common Wiggler

Post by phinland » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:42 pm

Naenyn wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:45 pm
phinland wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:08 pm
...pleased to announce that a full Production Batch was ordered today!
Just curious. How much of the existing orders does that cover? Wondering what is included in a "batch".

Thank you for keeping us up to date! A lot of people ready to give you their :75:
Hi, thanks for your interest! It’s a bit tricky but what I can say are two things.

First, we ordered 100 panels (50 Blue and 50 Black) and that’s a sizeable fraction of the backlog. We didn’t order that many full boards but the reason will become apparent again with Big Announcement.

I’m assuming there’s a roughly 50/50 preference for Black/Blue, but sales will give us a better picture of that.

Second, I’ll be giving a lot more information in the Big Announcement but I want to avoid naming an exact number because there are always unknowns (particularly with CoViD & Brexit) and as soon as I mention a date or projection I risk disappointing already very patient people if we don’t quite make it. BUT (and this is really important), we are in a massively stronger position to realise orders now (as I hope I’m demonstrating), that will only continue and increase, the more time we have to get our heads down and fulfil the list the quicker it will go, and we WILL get to you.

Thanks as always — it’s honestly really humbling to see all your continued interest. I really hope you’ll be excited by the news next week (paperwork pending!)

Cheers as always,
Phin

auxpin
Common Wiggler

Post by auxpin » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:06 pm

phinland wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:42 pm
...First, we ordered 100 panels (50 Blue and 50 Black) and that’s a sizeable fraction of the backlog. We didn’t order that many full boards but the reason will become apparent again with Big Announcement.

I’m assuming there’s a roughly 50/50 preference for Black/Blue, but sales will give us a better picture of that.

Thanks as always — it’s honestly really humbling to see all your continued interest. I really hope you’ll be excited by the news next week (paperwork pending!)...
Pleased to see the good news. And thanks for listening to panel colour requests. Good luck with the rest of the production run / build. Really looking forward to this module so much.

devolution wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:29 pm

I've been bashing refresh on this thread quite often this week too 🤣
dual.bandcamp.com

phinland
Common Wiggler

Post by phinland » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:03 am

auxpin wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:06 pm
phinland wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:42 pm
Pleased to see the good news. And thanks for listening to panel colour requests. Good luck with the rest of the production run / build. Really looking forward to this module so much.

Hey, it’s you guys who make this stuff happen: no customers, no product. My whole life in academia has taught me that learning is a two way process: I detest the ‘Apple Knows Best’ top-down design mentality so I always try to remember that in effect I work for you since you pay my wages. Sometimes we’ll have to make a call that some requests are just not possible or that we’ve already tested them and they just didn’t work (and of course Creativity By Committee isn’t always the most effective approach). However, as a company (🤫), we recognise that the strength of Eurorack lies in every player’s individuality. Wherever we can, we will always try to give you what you ask for.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”