modules with 3.5mm TRS MIDI jacks

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

User avatar
kay_k
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by kay_k » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:41 am

av500 wrote:here:

Image
hahahahaha

you troll

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 11263
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:45 am

TRS version works as a MIDI splitter though. :lol:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

User avatar
kay_k
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by kay_k » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:23 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:TRS version works as a MIDI splitter though. :lol:
depending on the # and make of receivers tho

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 11263
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:57 am

kay_k wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:TRS version works as a MIDI splitter though. :lol:
depending on the # and make of receivers tho
True. Your 2hp module is more than valuable, considering that it can also swap between the two formats and it takes almost zero space.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

User avatar
metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:02 am
Location: Oakland, California
Contact:

Post by metamorphmuses » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:52 am

I recently bought a Polyend Poly 2 and just started using it. It comes with one MIDI DIN to 3.5 mm TRS adapter cable. I decided to buy a couple more, and went with cables meant for Make Noise 0-Coast. It turns out these are incompatible. I surmise that Make Noise uses Type A, i.e. the type Arturia uses, i.e. data maps to ring.

I contacted Polyend and promptly received a response; in fact, they sent me a diagram (see attached). Polyend uses the type in which data maps to tip, i.e. the type Korg uses, i.e. Type B.

Image

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 11263
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:44 am

I think MakeNoise uses the same type that Korg uses.

Compare http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/m ... manual.pdf with Korg's little bits diagram from MIDI association https://www.midi.org/articles-old/updat ... din-cables

I'm fairly sure the one you're depicting above is the Korg type, and I'm also fairly certain Tony went with the Korg Type as we discussed this a long time ago when the 0 Coast first came out during a super booth, back when I was trying to get all manufacturers to adhere to the Korg Type (but failed miserably :hihi: )
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

User avatar
kay_k
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by kay_k » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:06 pm

MN is most def Korg standard:

"connected using a simple TRS cable"

I've put down Polyend Poly 2 as Type Arturia (also according that pic) - please someone check my logic here cos I'm tired in the moment.

User avatar
talkboxert
Common Wiggler
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 5:11 am
Location: Holland

Post by talkboxert » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:35 pm

The pocket operator modular 16 talks to my 0-coast that suddenly has a working midi interface. :banana: Thought somebody fried it in the euro coversion but seems hè just supplied me with type B cables. Sooooo much fun but I guess that’s One for the Korg/type a list

User avatar
kay_k
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by kay_k » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:39 am

talkboxert wrote:The pocket operator modular 16 talks to my 0-coast that suddenly has a working midi interface. :banana: Thought somebody fried it in the euro coversion but seems hè just supplied me with type B cables. Sooooo much fun but I guess that’s One for the Korg/type a list
wait what .. that thing has MIDI ?
I HAVEN'T SEEN THAT, how awesome is this. I need one now!

[Edit:]
Korg is correct. They have the info in the online manual:
https://teenage.engineering/guides/po-modular/16
I find that super cool, still don't get why not all manufacturers publish this info.

User avatar
tokidoki
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 1:44 pm
Location: Outland

Post by tokidoki » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:14 pm

I hope this message is not out of subject.

Could you, please, edit the initial list according to the MIDI Association informations ?

It could help to clarify this ink bottle (bouteille à encre) topic.

https://www.midi.org/articles-old/updat ... din-cables

If A is B and B is A we are in the 1984 world, confusion and despair.

Little confusion and very light despair I know, but we need lights.

Thank you for your work around this MIDI enigma.

User avatar
kay_k
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by kay_k » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:37 am

Salut! C'est vrais!

:doh: corrected, thanks!
tokidoki wrote:I hope this message is not out of subject.

Could you, please, edit the initial list according to the MIDI Association informations ?

It could help to clarify this ink bottle (bouteille à encre) topic.

https://www.midi.org/articles-old/updat ... din-cables

If A is B and B is A we are in the 1984 world, confusion and despair.

Little confusion and very light despair I know, but we need lights.

Thank you for your work around this MIDI enigma.

audionerd
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Post by audionerd » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:51 pm

vector sequencer is type b. confirmed with five12 via email.

User avatar
kay_k
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by kay_k » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:12 pm

audionerd wrote:vector sequencer is type b. confirmed with five12 via email.
thanks

audionerd
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Post by audionerd » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:47 am

thanks for all your work on this data!

i've started to organize structured data from this thread, along with data from my own research, and made it public domain at:
https://github.com/audionerd/minimidi-data
i'll try to keep it up-to-date with this thread, but PR's are welcome, too.

also, using that dataset, i'm working on a microsite to better explain how TRS MIDI works, and to help people search for MIDI TRS type by device:
https://minimidi.world

User avatar
kay_k
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by kay_k » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:24 am

:yay: :nana:

[also.. could you please modify my vendor name to LPZW.modules otherwise ppl will probably not find me in that list]

audionerd
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Post by audionerd » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:07 am

sure! done.

User avatar
kay_k
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: modules with 3.5mm TRS MIDI jacks

Post by kay_k » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:46 am

the transition to the new software omitted the last entries to this thread. I can't find the URL to that MINIMIDI website that was so nicely done.

User avatar
morgulbee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:31 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: modules with 3.5mm TRS MIDI jacks

Post by morgulbee » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:15 am

kay_k wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:46 am
the transition to the new software omitted the last entries to this thread. I can't find the URL to that MINIMIDI website that was so nicely done.
Here it is: https://minimidi.world/

A great resource for TRS MIDI information.

User avatar
mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: modules with 3.5mm TRS MIDI jacks

Post by mamonu » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:29 am

my case (Dreadbox 168) has midi inputs in TRS format. http://www.dreadbox-fx.com/modular-cases/
I dont know what standard it follows but I would guess its KORG as someone mentioned a dreadbox module that used that...
frac & 100m & eurorack (equal opportunities wiggler)
-----------------------------------------------
:blacet: :blacet: fracmodular.github.io :blacet: :blacet:

User avatar
tokidoki
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 1:44 pm
Location: Outland

Re: modules with 3.5mm TRS MIDI jacks

Post by tokidoki » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:47 pm

Just received from Germany a FLAME QMCV - MIDI to 4 CV-Gate-Velocity Interface.

For the list :

MIDI Input (MIDI TRS-B Standard)
MIDI THRU Output (MIDI TRS-B Standard)

Thanx.

RecycleYourPets
Common Wiggler
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:16 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: modules with 3.5mm TRS MIDI jacks

Post by RecycleYourPets » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:46 am

Just got confirmation that the Division Department 01/IV drum machine uses the Type B trs midi.

(to copy the previous posts format:

MIDI Input (MIDI TRS-B Standard)
MIDI THRU Output (MIDI TRS-B Standard)

https://www.thedivisiondepartment.com/pages/01-iv
Schenk.work - instagram.com/schenk.work

User avatar
MikeLeeBirds
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:59 am

Re: modules with 3.5mm TRS MIDI jacks

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:33 am

tokidoki wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:47 pm
Just received from Germany a FLAME QMCV - MIDI to 4 CV-Gate-Velocity Interface.

Thanx.
How is the QMCV working for you? The voltages on mine are slightly off and I‘m waiting for information on how to calibrate it.

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2224
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: modules with 3.5mm TRS MIDI jacks

Post by dooj88 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:47 am

oh F ME.. lol, why or why didn't i know about this thread the last few weeks after ordering 2 of the wrong midi adapters for my performer. i've been banging my head against the wall thinking my unit was busted.. actually today i was going to order a type a, but confidence was very low. glad to get confirmation i'm not doing something wrong (aside from wasting money).

User avatar
MikeLeeBirds
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:59 am

Re: modules with 3.5mm TRS MIDI jacks

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:10 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:47 am
oh F ME.. lol, why or why didn't i know about this thread the last few weeks after ordering 2 of the wrong midi adapters for my performer. i've been banging my head against the wall thinking my unit was busted.. actually today i was going to order a type a, but confidence was very low. glad to get confirmation i'm not doing something wrong (aside from wasting money).
I had a version of the Performer where you could switch TRS types.

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2224
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: modules with 3.5mm TRS MIDI jacks

Post by dooj88 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:14 pm

MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:10 pm
dooj88 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:47 am
oh F ME.. lol, why or why didn't i know about this thread the last few weeks after ordering 2 of the wrong midi adapters for my performer. i've been banging my head against the wall thinking my unit was busted.. actually today i was going to order a type a, but confidence was very low. glad to get confirmation i'm not doing something wrong (aside from wasting money).
I had a version of the Performer where you could switch TRS types.
definitely not something mine is capable of. i think my board is a rev done by MSW, not sure if that had any impact on the midi standard it needs, but yeah type B - the one 1010music sells, and the one on amazon for $6.99 (that doesn't specify a standard :doh: ) did not work. just ordered the korg/type A, fingers and toes crossed. i really wanna play with the arp settings on this thing (while my keystep is arping!)

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”