Xaoc Tallin dual VCA

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

pablowdadon
Common Wiggler

Re: Xaoc Tallin dual VCA

Post by pablowdadon » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:53 am

andreilien wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:12 am
I recently got a Tallin. The saturation/ distortion sounds good on it, but I noticed it seems to have quite a bit of noise even with nothing running into it, and the gain knobs all the way down compared to my other vca's. I'm wondering if that is normal, or if I might have gotten a faulty one. I had a patch set up that is being processed in Bitwig with an Xfer records OTT ( default settings with 25 percent mix ) and a bit of gain from a glue compressor. So, those plugins definitely push any noise to the forefront. If I run one of the outputs of Tallin into that chain, even with the gain all the way down, the noise is pretty loud compared to my other vca's. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'm wondering if that is normal, or if I should try exchanging it. If anybody has experience with it, please let me know what you think.
I noticed that Tallin is quite sensitive to massive presence of digital modules.
To make it clear, 2 years ago my system was this and I mailed xaoc for the same reason.
"half of your modules is
digital, and can produce some digital noise that can leak to sensitive analog circuits. Also, a switching power supply is always
worse than a linear power supply when it comes to noise. Hence, all in all, some leaking of the noise from the rest of your
system may be picked up and amplified by your Tallin."

andreilien
Learning to Wiggle

Post by andreilien » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:04 am

Thanks a lot for letting me know that. I do have a lot of digital module in this case. I will try it in another case. Do you think it's normal then if the Tallin is producing more noise than other VCA's in the same case (Mantis)? I just want to make sure mine isn't having issues. Thanks again.

pablowdadon
Common Wiggler

Post by pablowdadon » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:56 am

andreilien wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:04 am
Thanks a lot for letting me know that. I do have a lot of digital module in this case. I will try it in another case. Do you think it's normal then if the Tallin is producing more noise than other VCA's in the same case (Mantis)? I just want to make sure mine isn't having issues. Thanks again.
I don’t know what are other vcas in your system but in that one i posted, surely it was the noisiest.
Of course i’m talkin about only what is referred to your "problem", i want to point out that Tallin is incredibly good.
Not simply good, but really good.

Oh no, i started missing my old system. :doh:

andreilien
Learning to Wiggle

Post by andreilien » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:04 am

pablowdadon wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:56 am
andreilien wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:04 am
I don’t know what are other vcas in your system but in that one i posted, surely it was the noisiest.
Of course i’m talkin about only what is referred to your "problem", i want to point out that Tallin is incredibly good.
Not simply good, but really good.

Oh no, i started missing my old system. :doh:
Thanks again. The other VCA's are a Malekko and Intellijel. I'm really liking the sound of the Tallin. I just noticed more noise than the other modules, while there is no sound running through. I will test it out in my other case tomorrow. I appreciate the advice.

IEC
Wiggling with Experience

Post by IEC » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:05 pm

deftinwulf wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:33 am
Anyone know what potentiometer style Xaoc use on these? T-18, 6.3mm round, etc?
super late to the party but it has T18 pots, the one I had with set screws was also a T18 shaft sleeved with heatshrink to take the 6.35mm knob, so they must have not been able to get hold of T18 knobs for that run and had to use 6.35's...

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:30 am

Together with Kamieniec, Tallin makes distortion easy:

esmooov
Common Wiggler

Post by esmooov » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:56 pm

Quick question: has anyone else noticed that, when connected to an envelope, the Tallin doesn't close all the way if the gain is beyond 9-10 o'clock. Has anyone successfully used the bias trimmers on the back to correct this? They don't seem to do anything or at least I can't see their effect on my oscilloscope.

EDIT: This is only true when using the linear side of the VCA. When feeding envelopes into the exponential inputs, they close all the way.

EDIT 2: So, Xaoc's incredible support actually got back to me on Christmas and informed me that the problem was actually a Zadar outputting a bit of a positive offset when inactive. I calibrated it up and now everything's perfect. This is great because the Tallin has immediately become a key part in my tone stack. Just a wonderful VCA.

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:24 pm

Using Tallin for distortion:

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:50 am

The next part, now with a feedback path:

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:24 am

Tallin with the Analog Rytm. :-)

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:08 pm

I love talling so much i'm thinking about getting another one or two. Or i'm wondering if i should rather get any other similar but different sounding VCA. Any recommandation on kind of same "coloring" VCA ?
WTB: Mimeophon, Rossum Morpheus, Joranalogue switch 4

For trade: Instruo Cs-L, Waldorf Microwave XT, NE Manis Iteritas
MI Stages & some other stuff pm me

sellanraa
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sellanraa » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:09 pm

I'd check out the Koma Dual Discrete VCA. Super sweet. Bummed I sold it in a pinch.

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:35 pm

IEC wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:05 pm
deftinwulf wrote:
super late to the party but it has T18 pots, the one I had with set screws was also a T18 shaft sleeved with heatshrink to take the 6.35mm knob, so they must have not been able to get hold of T18 knobs for that run and had to use 6.35's...
Hey, I'm super-super late to the party but just wanted to say thank you for the helpful information. I somehow missed the notification of your reply last year and didn't mean to blow you off. Thanks again!

:cloud:

IEC
Wiggling with Experience

Post by IEC » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:56 am

deftinwulf wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:35 pm
IEC wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:05 pm
deftinwulf wrote:
Hey, I'm super-super late to the party but just wanted to say thank you for the helpful information. I somehow missed the notification of your reply last year and didn't mean to blow you off. Thanks again!

:cloud:
hey no worries at all glad you got it eventually :lol:

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:18 am

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:24 am

These videos are great, thank you for putting them together :tu:

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:21 am

khyber wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:18 am
Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:24 am

These videos are great, thank you for putting them together :tu:
Thanks for your feedback. Tallin will be part of future videos. Even as a simple dual attenuator it is always handy. :-)

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”