New WMD Performance Mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

James_S
Learning to Wiggle

Re: New WMD Performance Mixer

Post by James_S » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Or to further simplify that question; how do I record what I hear through my headphones output onto my computer via an interface? For some reason that's proving quite a challenge at the moment!

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:28 pm

On your computer, are you recording into a stereo channel or two mono channels? If the latter, you’ll need to hard pan them left and right respectively.

James_S
Learning to Wiggle

Post by James_S » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:05 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:28 pm
On your computer, are you recording into a stereo channel or two mono channels? If the latter, you’ll need to hard pan them left and right respectively.
EDIT: Yes I was trying to record into a stereo channel but you're right, just doing 2 x mono and hard panning them in the DAW is the way to go. Thanks, and apologies for clogging up the thread with my stupidity! :doh:

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:00 pm

James_S wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:05 pm
mdoudoroff wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:28 pm
EDIT: Yes I was trying to record into a stereo channel but you're right, just doing 2 x mono and hard panning them in the DAW is the way to go. Thanks, and apologies for clogging up the thread with my stupidity! :doh:
Not at all! I just learned something from your post's reply!

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:25 am

Got my new Modular Addict "thin" cables and they're great! I finally perma-patched my four Doepfer A-145-1V quad-LFOs up to my two Frap Tools 321s to service six channels of level-control for automated fade-ins/fade-outs, and eight channels of pan-control on my WMD Performance Mixer:

Still need to grab a third Frap Tools 321 to enable level-control over all my WMD mixer's channels. But it's pure luxury to finally have LFO-controlled fading and panning on virtually all of my WMD's channels, all on-tap at any time.

tdallas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:03 am

;) tip -> cosmetic brush
dust.png
dust.png (115.21 KiB) Viewed 643 times

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:02 am

Just need 4 Divkid Mutes (or something similar) in there as well !

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:56 am

Hmmm . . . checking that out now (I already have PM Mutes).

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:15 pm

I meant for the hard patched modulation not the channels!

rocknrolla
Common Wiggler

Post by rocknrolla » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:57 am

How does WMD PM compare to Befaco Hexmix for live performances? I understand their differences in terms of specs, but i am more curious what are advantages/disadvantages which are not so obvious, like I can imagine that sliders on PM are better than knobs on Hexmix.

Also just to confirm - is that not possible to use both aux sends at the same time? So I essentially cannot send my channel into delay and reverb at the same time?

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:14 am

rocknrolla wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:57 am
Also just to confirm - is that not possible to use both aux sends at the same time? So I essentially cannot send my channel into delay and reverb at the same time?
If you're asking about the Aux sends on the PM, then no, you can't send to both from one channel. The Aux switch on each channel is Aux 1 (Up), off (middle) and Aux 2 (down). Most of my effects are stereo, so I usually return them through a stereo channel, instead of either of the mono Aux returns. This could be a solution for you, because you can then send the return signal coming in the stereo channel to the other Aux send.

rocknrolla
Common Wiggler

Post by rocknrolla » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:02 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:14 am
rocknrolla wrote:
If you're asking about the Aux sends on the PM, then no, you can't send to both from one channel. The Aux switch on each channel is Aux 1 (Up), off (middle) and Aux 2 (down). Most of my effects are stereo, so I usually return them through a stereo channel, instead of either of the mono Aux returns. This could be a solution for you, because you can then send the return signal coming in the stereo channel to the other Aux send.
Ah that's clever! There's always a solution :tu:

Deej
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Deej » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:57 pm

closedLoop wrote:
because you can then send the return signal coming in the stereo channel to the other Aux send.
How did I not think of that! Thanks!

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:07 am

closedLoop wrote:
rocknrolla wrote:
Yeah, but it is not the same.

What he asked for is that a signal gets a delay and a reverb.
What you describe would give a reverb that is delayed, or a delay that is reverbed. Still a good thing, and I do that often. But it is not the same as having two individual aux sends in parallel (at the same time).

Sadly, PM can only have one aux send at a time.

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:21 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:07 am
closedLoop wrote:
rocknrolla wrote:

What you describe would give a reverb that is delayed, or a delay that is reverbed. Still a good thing, and I do that often. But it is not the same as having two individual aux sends in parallel (at the same time).

A bit of a clumsy solution but you could split the source signal and send it to two different channels, assigning one to the reverb aux and one to the delay.

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:32 am

seychmar wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:21 am
A bit of a clumsy solution but you could split the source signal and send it to two different channels, assigning one to the reverb aux and one to the delay.
Yes, definitely. But then you cannot share the same effect with another instrument.

I have only 3 aux sends on my mixer. Always one or two missing :mrgreen:
Often I copy the signal at the patchbay and send it to an effect. Stuff like phaser, chorus, or other crazy stuff, that is only used for that one instrument. The aux sends I use for the shared effect like a short and long reverb and a delay.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:21 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:07 am

Oh, yeah - definitely not the same, if that wasn't clear. That's just a workaround on the PM because you can't use both sends simultaneously. If the dry/wet mix on the first send is 50/50, the 2nd send will get both the source and the first effect, which if pretty great if the first effect is delay, and the second is reverb.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:44 am

I like to use the cue outputs on the wmd pm as a 3rd aux send. You don’t have individual level control but still useful in certain applications and can work out if your gains are set well. Can select multiple cues and it mixes them at the cue output.

It’s actually a cool performance tool to just press a cue button on a channel and have it blast through a delay for example.

I’m actually doing that here (with a heavily modulated delay)

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:14 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:44 am
It’s actually a cool performance tool to just press a cue button on a channel and have it blast through a delay for example.
Great idea :hyper:

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:46 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:14 am
brandonlogic wrote:
Great idea :hyper:
Yeah I love that they though of the idea to make a euro level cue output jack in addition to the headphone out. Take advantage of it!!

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:37 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
I like to use the cue outputs on the wmd pm as a 3rd aux send. You don’t have individual level control but still useful in certain applications and can work out if your gains are set well. Can select multiple cues and it mixes them at the cue output.

That was super-cool, Brandon! You should make your own YouTube channel! Good tip about the cue-channel. Gotta start using that! The WMD mixers are f'ing great aren't they? Just checked out your Instagram (I guess all the cool kids are on that instead of YouTube!).
Last edited by studio460 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:41 pm

studio460 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:37 pm
brandonlogic wrote:

That was super-cool, Brandon! You should make your own YouTube channel! Good tip about the cue-channel. Gotta start using that! The WMD mixers are f'ing great aren't they?
Thanks! I have a YouTube, although I’m not as active on it as Instagram and SoundCloud.

Yes! The wmd pm was a game changer module for me for sure. Idk how I got by without it for so long! Just ties the whole system together so nicely. And all the cv level/pan ability makes it so well justified to have in the rack.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:28 pm

Despite the huge variety of stereo mixers, only a relatively small subset are sprouting with VCAs, and of those, the PM sits pretty much alone in a sweet spot for medium-to-large systems (and even some smallish ones). The balance of features is part of why, but another really important factor is channel density. Channel density is channels/hp. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the PM and Praga are strong sellers, and both have a channel density of ~20%. It’s a sweet spot. By contrast, a Sir Mix Alot is 33% (and, depending on your POV, an unusable mess), and both Befaco’s Hexmix and Frap’s CGM are something like 9% (and, depending on your POV, too space inefficient).

rocknrolla
Common Wiggler

Post by rocknrolla » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:15 pm

I am contemplating between PM and Befaco hexmix. Now one of the advantages of a proper end of chain mixer is having EQ. However WMD PM does not have this. How important is having EQ when making electronic music on modular (without external mixer)?

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:23 pm

deft_bonz wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:32 am
seychmar wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:21 am
Yes, definitely. But then you cannot share the same effect with another instrument.

I have only 3 aux sends on my mixer. Always one or two missing :mrgreen:
Often I copy the signal at the patchbay and send it to an effect. Stuff like phaser, chorus, or other crazy stuff, that is only used for that one instrument. The aux sends I use for the shared effect like a short and long reverb and a delay.
What I had in mind was assigning delay to aux 1 and reverb to aux 2. If you wish to send a channel to both auxes, just duplicate it on 2 channels, assigning one to aux 1 and the other to aux 2. You could assign any combination of the other channels to either aux.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”