New WMD Performance Mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Re: New WMD Performance Mixer

Post by davidjames » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:35 pm

davidjames wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:19 pm
mdoudoroff wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:48 pm
drxcm wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:46 pm
I’m thinking of getting the DB25 output module for it.
Problem is how much those DB25 cables stick up.
I might whack a hole in the back of my case and mount it there instead!
That’s exactly what I did with my DB25 expander. Much better: clean look, less stress on the cables and jacks.
Same here. I put a 1U 104hp row in the back of my console case. Used a 3U to 1U adapter and racked the DB25 module there. Also 1U DC power inlet, USB power, and MIDI jacks. The Intellijel 1/4" audio jacks board is back there too but drilled 4 holes for that since it's not a module. That's fed from the Intellijel audio interface right above my WMD mixer, so that takes care of the 1/8 to 1/4 issue.
IMG_0413_R.jpg
IMG_0414_R.jpg

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:35 pm

studio460 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:13 pm
trickness wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:33 am
I absolutely love my performance mixer, My only issue with that is that for the size of the module it really should have two quarter inch outs. The 3.5 mm to quarter inch cables available on the market are all really crappy. I end up using a Joranalogue Transfer with XLR outs as my final output module which wastes hp.
Yes, that would be good. I wanted to hook this up to a separate pair of studio monitors I have. How are most of you connecting a studio monitor-pair to the WMD PM? Which outputs are you using? I was thinking of taking the 1/8" headphone-out to a 1/4" TS-cable 'Y'-adapter (or, the other way around—plugging my headphones into the 1/8"-jack, and using a 1/4" TS 'Y'-cable for the monitors). Any other suggestions?
For studio use, I use the DB25, into my UAD Apollo.

For live or portable jamming, I'd really prefer to go line level L & R 1/4 inch (or XLR) out to whatever the venue lets me plug in to. The Joranalogue is great for this, just sucks to have to use 6hp for this.

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:54 pm

DB25 mounted to side of case is where its at!

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:38 am

drxcm wrote:
Mines plugged into an intellijel 1U outs mounted right above it.

I can't measure it right now, but I'd guess they stick out about 7-8 cm, incl the snake turn. If you have a stiff cheap snake, maybe even more. I use Mogami, which is very flexible, almost "tender" 😅

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:39 am

Zymos wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:00 pm
I use the 1/8” phones output for monitoring.
But isn't that subpar, because HP outputs are designed for low impedance headphones?

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:43 am

studio460 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:11 pm

Yeah, the DB25 expander certainly seems a good candidate for a back-of-the-rack install. I was reading back into the thread and its seems the price of admission for a DB25 interface is rather high, starting at about $1,500 (i.e., the PreSonus Quantum 4848). Surely there's a ≈$500 DB25 interface out there by now?
The interface doesn't need to have DB25. Justbuy a DB25 to XLR/TRS snake.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:13 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:39 am
Zymos wrote:
But isn't that subpar, because HP outputs are designed for low impedance headphones?
:hmm: I’m using powered monitors, is that even an issue?

Sounds fine to me, I’ve got the main outs going to a 4ms Wav, and it’s just easier for me to listen to it this way.

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:39 am

Zymos wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:13 am
deft_bonz wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:39 am
Zymos wrote:
:hmm: I’m using powered monitors, is that even an issue?

Sounds fine to me, I’ve got the main outs going to a 4ms Wav, and it’s just easier for me to listen to it this way.
It definitely works. I used to track my Matrix6 thru its HP outs, because the right output is defect. I don't really know, what and when issues can occurr. I once read about it very long time ago.

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:46 am

davidjames wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:35 pm
davidjames wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:
drxcm wrote:
That’s exactly what I did with my DB25 expander. Much better: clean look, less stress on the cables and jacks.
Same here. I put a 1U 104hp row in the back of my console case. Used a 3U to 1U adapter and racked the DB25 module there. Also 1U DC power inlet, USB power, and MIDI jacks. The Intellijel 1/4" audio jacks board is back there too but drilled 4 holes for that since it's not a module. That's fed from the Intellijel audio interface right above my WMD mixer, so that takes care of the 1/8 to 1/4 issue.
IMG_0413_R.jpg

IMG_0414_R.jpg
Great looking case setup, btw.

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:31 pm

20210109_141921.jpg

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:01 pm

Really enjoying my WMD Performance Mixer, Channels-expander, and I just received my Mutes—all in gorgeous black! I also just bought (but haven't received yet), four Doepfer A-145-4V quad-LFOs to enable manual-control over pan and level. Happily, I found using an LFO alone (e.g., Lifeforms' ModTools until I get my Doepfers), I can control pan and level on the PM without a VCA. Is this because of the PM's built-in VCAs?

Then I was wondering, how many internal VCAs does the PM actually have? I imagine that each channel has its own VCA, two more for the sends, etc., and that's why an LFO-input alone (e.g., square-wave) is able to attenuate level all the way down to 0dB?
Last edited by studio460 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:44 pm

@studio460, nice! I plan to get a WMD Performance mixer with the expanders this year to use with my new Metron. Also like the WMD attenuator very easy to use with sliders for performance and WMD percussion modules are superb. I think that WMD and Hexinverter make amazing drum modules.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:44 pm
@studio460, nice! I plan to get a WMD Performance mixer with the expanders this year to use with my new Metron. Also like the WMD attenuator very easy to use with sliders for performance and WMD percussion modules are superb. I think that WMD and Hexinverter make amazing drum modules.
Yeah, I was super-jazzed when I found that I didn't need to buy 16 VCAs!!! The WMD mixer is literally the best investment in modular I've made—so much productivity. Finally, I can HEAR all of my voices!!! Haha! Plus, CV-control over ALL my panning and levels is going to be friggin' awesome.

As I've said elsewhere, I pre-ordered mine from Prymaxe during their Black Friday sale and they actually came through. Their 20%-off new year's discount still works. You may have to wait a bit (mine took about five weeks—and that's over the holidays!), but Prymaxe regularly carries several WMD modules, so they seem a safe bet (despite their somewhat uneven customer-service history reported here by some). Anyway, they did great by me and saved me a ton of money on several WMD modules. Just be sure to read the refund/return policy for pre-orders carefully (only store credit given 48 hours after you place your order), and make sure you're okay with that.

And in case you weren't aware, WMD stated just the other day in the "stereo mixers" thread that they're continuously producing WMD Performance Mixers, and now all panels are produced in-house, all in black. The limited-edition PM LE was also just announced, but so far, there's no information yet on the WMD site.

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:58 pm

studio460 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 pm
mixxalot wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:44 pm
Yeah, I was super-jazzed when I found that I didn't need to buy 16 VCAs!!! The WMD mixer is literally the best investment in modular I've made—so much productivity. Finally, I can HEAR all of my voices!!! Haha! Plus, CV-control over ALL my panning and levels is going to be friggin' awesome.

As I've said elsewhere, I pre-ordered mine from Prymaxe during their Black Friday sale and they actually came through. Their 20%-off new year's discount still works. You may have to wait a bit (mine took about five weeks—and that's over the holidays!), but Prymaxe regularly carries several WMD modules, so they seem a safe bet (despite their somewhat uneven customer-service history reported here by some). Anyway, they did great by me and saved me a ton of money on several WMD modules. Just be sure to read the refund/return policy for pre-orders carefully (only store credit given 48 hours after you place your order), and make sure you're okay with that.

And in case you weren't aware, WMD stated just the other day in the "stereo mixers" thread that they're continuously producing WMD Performance Mixers, and now all panels are produced in-house, all in black. The limited-edition PM LE was also just announced, but so far, there's no information yet on the WMD site.
I think the WMD performance mixer LE is not produced now. I’ve had mine for nearly a year and it was a limited run. In any case it was announced some time ago.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:34 pm

I like the black panel WMD a lot and both my 4TTEN a great attenuator by the way and Metron have black. So I'd get another 4TTEN and PM no doubt this year. Love those sliders!
My music:

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:44 pm

BlinkyLights wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:46 am
davidjames wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:35 pm
davidjames wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:
drxcm wrote:
IMG_0413_R.jpg

IMG_0414_R.jpg
Great looking case setup, btw.
Thanks...Here's a more recent shot. Still a work in progress but completed the major surgery (replaced the rails in the EP-420). Of course I had the custom 7U case built to compliment the EP-420...140 HP, same wood/stain and overall shape. Excuse the overexposed photo, my lighting is super vibey for playing but terrible for glamor shots. But the rear 1U row and piping the DB25 out that way was a huge upgrade. And Jim@Five12, please please please let WMD make you a black panel for Vector!

IMG_0433_R.jpg

freqout
Common Wiggler

Post by freqout » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:24 pm

studio460 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 pm
Yeah, I was super-jazzed when I found that I didn't need to buy 16 VCAs!!!

even for modules with built in VCAs, having all those extra VCAs in series is really handy. I often use them to patch in velocity from midi-to-cv modules.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:13 pm

drxcm wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:58 pm
I think the WMD performance mixer LE is not produced now. I’ve had mine for nearly a year and it was a limited run. In any case it was announced some time ago.
It's back! I pulled this off WMD's splash-page as of about a week ago, and is currently still there (located on the third banner; i.e., click the third "dot"). Unfortunately, the "Check it out!" link dead-ends to a 404-error. At first I was like "Whoa!" Then my regular PM arrived the next day. I'm actually totally fine with the non-LE PM since I prefer the Channels-expander to the left.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:28 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:34 pm
I like the black panel WMD a lot and both my 4TTEN a great attenuator by the way and Metron have black. So I'd get another 4TTEN and PM no doubt this year. Love those sliders!
Oh, man! You have no idea how much I was flipping out not knowing if I was getting a black or a silver one, since Prymaxe "doesn't guarantee color." Until I re-read this thread that sometime last year WMD stated right on Muff's that they were only producing black panels from then on.

The all-black WMD Performance Mixer, Channels, Mutes, and now, the black Doepfer LFOs and WMD 4TTNs! I just couldn't be happier with the whole cosmetic-effect, not to mention the mixer itself. To think I almost bought someone's used, beat-up silver PM for as much as they cost new just a few months ago (whew!). I feel extremely fortunate to have all of this!

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:22 pm

@studio460, gotcha and I like a clean look as well. All of my WMD modules so far are black so they look ace together. I originally wanted silver but only black was in stock and on sale so that's what I ended up with and no complaints. Same with my Hexinverter Mutant drums high hat module black also. WMD and Hexinverter make amazing percussion modules. Now I want a snare and mutant machine in black.
My music:

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:52 pm

Nevermind! Figured it out!

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:31 am

davidjames wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:44 pm

Of course I had the custom 7U case built to compliment the EP-420...140 HP, same wood/stain and overall shape. Excuse the overexposed photo, my lighting is super vibey for playing but terrible for glamor shots. But the rear 1U row and piping the DB25 out that way was a huge upgrade. And Jim@Five12, please please please let WMD make you a black panel for Vector!
Can you share more info about the custom case? I have two 420s now and I am using a 270 on its back as my controller and effects case but I would really love to have something like this instead!

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:35 pm

ima_jrk wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:31 am
davidjames wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:44 pm

Of course I had the custom 7U case built to compliment the EP-420...140 HP, same wood/stain and overall shape. Excuse the overexposed photo, my lighting is super vibey for playing but terrible for glamor shots. But the rear 1U row and piping the DB25 out that way was a huge upgrade. And Jim@Five12, please please please let WMD make you a black panel for Vector!
Can you share more info about the custom case? I have two 420s now and I am using a 270 on its back as my controller and effects case but I would really love to have something like this instead!
I just PM'd you!

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:46 pm

studio460 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:13 pm
drxcm wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:58 pm
It's back! I pulled this off WMD's splash-page as of about a week ago, and is currently still there (located on the third banner; i.e., click the third "dot"). Unfortunately, the "Check it out!" link dead-ends to a 404-error. At first I was like "Whoa!" Then my regular PM arrived the next day. I'm actually totally fine with the non-LE PM since I prefer the Channels-expander to the left.

It's GONE! Maybe this was a mistake? The banner disappeared a couple days ago from WMD's site. No mention of it anywhere now (note that the banner never clicked anywhere when it was live—it always resulted in a 404-error).

James_S
Learning to Wiggle

Post by James_S » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:25 pm

Hi everyone, quick question regarding recording with the Performance Mixer.

So I would like to record in stereo so I can use the CV panning etc but at the moment I'm running into problems.

When I connect two mono mini jack- jack cables and go into the Line 1/ Line 2 of my interface, the panning that I usually get from the phones out doesn't work. When I pan it either stays dead centre when I hard pan in one direction or vanishes when I hard pan in the other direction. The same even happens when I go from the headphone output into the DL in on the interface but this might be due to it only accepting mono input through this jack? If I go from the phone output into the stereo monitoring jack on the interface everything is fine, but I can't record from this input.

I'm new to eurorack so it's very possible I'm doing something incredibly stupid but I'm finding it all a little frustrating. I've seen people mention the DB25 expander in this thread, I don't know if this is something I need to explore, or if I'm just missing something really obvious?

I know I can't just dead centre everything and pan from the computer but then I'm losing the panning effects I'm creating via the CV pan inputs on the mixer.

Sorry again if I'm being incredibly stupid, and any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”