New WMD Performance Mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Re: New WMD Performance Mixer

Post by neumedi » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:37 pm

Noisepan wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:14 pm
Has anyone considered taking the plastic fader covers off and putting these on?

Sifam Slider Caps

It looks like the plastic caps are heat shrunk on, I dont want to mess with trying to get them off if theres a chance I brake them but those slider caps look like theyd be really nice.
The other consideration is that the current “naked” led is pretty dim. Those think caps look pretty thick... the slider leds would likely be even more dim through those (if that matters to you - it would for me).

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Can anyone tell me if the pm mutes is clicky/poppy?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:44 pm

It isn’t clicky/poppy on its own, but don’t expect PM Mutes to be “clickless” with all material. It’s about the same as flicking the A/A+B/B channel switches on the main unit. Suitable for most live use, but probably not for tracking. I’ve noticed that NastyNachos doesn’t tend to use it, instead just flicking the faders. I ditched my PM Mutes and haven’t missed it. I prefer to mute way upstream at the trigger/gate part of the patch.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:15 pm

magicdust wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:39 pm
Can anyone tell me if the pm mutes is clicky/poppy?
I definitely found it to be clicky & poppy when dealing with full or hot signals.

I ditched it, and I now have the first six channel of the SSF Muton semi-permanently patched to the mono input of the PM. No clicks at all with Muton.

vraufen
Common Wiggler

Post by vraufen » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:34 pm

If I got one of these: 1/8 Microphone

Should I be able to get it up to modular levels with the pm gain?

I have the mono output of the performance mixer feeding into my Squid Salmple record-in, which I use for sound design and easy sampling. I am interested in adding the ability to sample from a microphone, so had this idea. I'd be able to have it permanently in the B input of a channel for easy switch over.

Thanks!

vraufen
Common Wiggler

Post by vraufen » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:32 pm

vraufen wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:34 pm
If I got one of these: 1/8 Microphone

Should I be able to get it up to modular levels with the pm gain?

I have the mono output of the performance mixer feeding into my Squid Salmple record-in, which I use for sound design and easy sampling. I am interested in adding the ability to sample from a microphone, so had this idea. I'd be able to have it permanently in the B input of a channel for easy switch over.

Thanks!
I managed to find a 1/8 mono microphone used for computers and plugged it in to the pm - didn't hear anything even with gain cranked up. I don't quite understand how these microphones work. I guess when plugged into a computer it is being supplied a voltage whereas in the modular, there is nothing supplying it the necessary power to provide a signal? Should I be looking for a piezo type microphone?

If that's the case, what are my options for adding a microphone to my mixer without getting another module? ***with as few parts and as small as possible**

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:55 am

vraufen wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:32 pm
I managed to find a 1/8 mono microphone used for computers and plugged it in to the pm - didn't hear anything even with gain cranked up. I don't quite understand how these microphones work. I guess when plugged into a computer it is being supplied a voltage whereas in the modular, there is nothing supplying it the necessary power to provide a signal? Should I be looking for a piezo type microphone?

If that's the case, what are my options for adding a microphone to my mixer without getting another module? ***with as few parts and as small as possible**
Usually this counts for condenser mics, copied somewhere from the Internet: "Put simply, condenser microphones have active electronics that need an external power source, while dynamic mics are passive and therefore do not need phantom power. Because of the way condenser mics work, their output is very high impedance, and therefore requires a powered circuit to reduce that impedance."

Plus: The gain you usually need for mics are way higher than instrument deliver. So, given your mic is functioning correctly, you will need at least 30-40dB of gain, if not up to 60, which a normal mixer without mic pre amps won't give you.

First make sure, your mic is working. If you have an external mixer with mic pre amps or just an mic pre amp, test it first. Most of those equipment will deliver the phantom power you need. Turn it on. Set the gain and if the mic is working you will see a small signal when you speak loudly. Pre amplify that signal to line levels and send it to your modular system. The PM then has enough gain to bring it up to modular levels.

Don't forget to turn it off in case you connect a dynamic mic to that channel, or it will blow off.

Best would be for you to get an external small mic pre amp. There are tons of them for all kinds of budgets. Or a small module you put into your case.

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:50 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:44 pm
It isn’t clicky/poppy on its own, but don’t expect PM Mutes to be “clickless” with all material. It’s about the same as flicking the A/A+B/B channel switches on the main unit. Suitable for most live use, but probably not for tracking. I’ve noticed that NastyNachos doesn’t tend to use it, instead just flicking the faders. I ditched my PM Mutes and haven’t missed it. I prefer to mute way upstream at the trigger/gate part of the patch.
Thanks for the response and for all the great comparisons you’ve created. I’ll give it a miss for now. Like the idea of cv control over first 4 channels aux

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:50 pm

magicdust wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:50 pm
Thanks for the response and for all the great comparisons you’ve created. I’ll give it a miss for now. Like the idea of cv control over first 4 channels aux
You can often patch around this with a VCA. Depends what you’re doing.

ipnoteca
cane morto

Post by ipnoteca » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:20 am

can please someone check if also your WMD mixer main out differ of 2 db from L to R?

did try with several cables, panned all channels L/R but the main always differs around 2 db.

same goes with the "send out" on the top right, difference is 1 db from L to R.
i've blown a fuse...

previously robocoder

YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/ipnoteca
INSTAGRAM http://www.instagram.com/ipnoteca/

wiresandstraps
R.T.F.M.

Post by wiresandstraps » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:05 am

ipnoteca wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:20 am
can please someone check if also your WMD mixer main out differ of 2 db from L to R?

did try with several cables, panned all channels L/R but the main always differs around 2 db.

same goes with the "send out" on the top right, difference is 1 db from L to R.
Not sure about 2db... but my performance mixer is now at least 16db lower on the right channel, and sometimes stops passing signal. Fml

I turned on the modular this morning and out of nowhere the right channel cut out completely. After multiple power cycles to no avail, now it appears that the right channel is super quiet or just not working.

I just put in a service request. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

freqout
Common Wiggler

Post by freqout » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:42 pm

Currently both my effects sends are to stereo modules so I’ve been returning them on channel 7 and 8, but I want to free those up. Best solution I’ve come up with it to get a Happy Nerding SAM to route them into the mix in input. This would give me the ability to adjust levels and it’s only 4hp. I suppose I could get the intellijel 2hp unity mixer and put the two left channels in one group and the two right in the other, but it might be useful to have those knobs on the SAM.

Anyone else using a similar solution to return stereo fx sends without stealing those precious stereo channels?

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:06 pm

freqout wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:42 pm

Anyone else using a similar solution to return stereo fx sends without stealing those precious stereo channels?
I think the Channels expander is well worth the extra 10hp. As much as anything, I want to control all my faders at the same location.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:41 pm

PM Channels is great. Full CV features. Tons of gain on tap, too.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:02 am

WMD Performance Mixer

It was a bit hard to find this thread, so I'm unceremoniously bumping it to show off my new WMD Performance Mixer. Wasn't sure if it would ever materialize, but WMD must've just finished a new batch. As promised, Prymaxe promptly shipped my pre-order even before they showed stock on its website. Kudos to the entire WMD team and its designers and engineers for crafting such a beautiful piece of gear—thank you.

Holy sh*t this thing is amazing. Right now, I'm CV-panning my sound-effects libraries playing from my Bitbox, plus my weird time-stretched Siri voice-recordings from my Nebulae, their sounds wandering eerily back-and-forth in the stereo-field—it is really creepy-cool sounding. Panning via CV has been my dream. The WMD mixer is the final piece which really finishes the rack. If you aren't aware, WMD has built a new run of the LE-edition Performance Mixers and are available now, direct from WMD.

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:33 am

I absolutely love my performance mixer, My only issue with that is that for the size of the module it really should have two quarter inch outs. The 3.5 mm to quarter inch cables available on the market are all really crappy. I end up using a Joranalogue Transfer with XLR outs as my final output module which wastes hp.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:13 pm

trickness wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:33 am
I absolutely love my performance mixer, My only issue with that is that for the size of the module it really should have two quarter inch outs. The 3.5 mm to quarter inch cables available on the market are all really crappy. I end up using a Joranalogue Transfer with XLR outs as my final output module which wastes hp.
Yes, that would be good. I wanted to hook this up to a separate pair of studio monitors I have. How are most of you connecting a studio monitor-pair to the WMD PM? Which outputs are you using? I was thinking of taking the 1/8" headphone-out to a 1/4" TS-cable 'Y'-adapter (or, the other way around—plugging my headphones into the 1/8"-jack, and using a 1/4" TS 'Y'-cable for the monitors). Any other suggestions?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:37 pm

I’ve never had any problem with a couple 1/8" to 1/4" cables. Granted, I’m not trying to run them very far: just a few feet to a mixer or interface.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:00 pm

I use the 1/8” phones output for monitoring.

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:46 pm

Mines plugged into an intellijel 1U outs mounted right above it.

I’m thinking of getting the DB25 output module for it.
Problem is how much those DB25 cables stick up.
I might whack a hole in the back of my case and mount it there instead!

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:48 pm

drxcm wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:46 pm
That’s exactly what I did with my DB25 expander. Much better: clean look, less stress on the cables and jacks.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:11 pm

Zymos wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:00 pm
I use the 1/8” phones output for monitoring.
Thanks, guys! That's what I thought. Then, at least the second headphone-out isn't "wasted" this way, and I don't use up a valuable send or aux-out.
mdoudoroff wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:48 pm
drxcm wrote:
That’s exactly what I did with my DB25 expander. Much better: clean look, less stress on the cables and jacks.
Yeah, the DB25 expander certainly seems a good candidate for a back-of-the-rack install. I was reading back into the thread and its seems the price of admission for a DB25 interface is rather high, starting at about $1,500 (i.e., the PreSonus Quantum 4848). Surely there's a ≈$500 DB25 interface out there by now? Update: I found the MOTU 24Ai USB interface for $995 with three DB25-inputs, but they're unbalanced.
mdoudoroff wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:37 pm
I’ve never had any problem with a couple 1/8" to 1/4" cables. Granted, I’m not trying to run them very far: just a few feet to a mixer or interface.
Yes, I already have a bunch of 1/8"-to-1/4" TS cables for my MX-1 and CP251s (which I've decided to sell). Where are you plugging those in your WMD PM?
Last edited by studio460 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:19 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:48 pm
drxcm wrote:
Same here. I put a 1U 104hp row in the back of my console case. Used a 3U to 1U adapter and racked the DB25 module there. Also 1U DC power inlet, USB power, and MIDI jacks. The Intellijel 1/4" audio jacks board is back there too but drilled 4 holes for that since it's not a module. That's fed from the Intellijel audio interface right above my WMD mixer, so that takes care of the 1/8 to 1/4 issue.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:33 pm

studio460 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:11 pm
Yes, I already have a bunch of 1/8"-to-1/4" TS cables for my MX-1 and CP251s (which I've decided to sell). Where are you plugging those in your WMD PM?
The main outs.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:33 pm

5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. as of Dec 8th 2020 on a break for a bit .. contact me via bamco60@hotmail.com if needed.
WELCOME TO 2021 .. THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”