New WMD Performance Mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Re: New WMD Performance Mixer

Post by drxcm » Tue May 04, 2021 12:31 am

rocknrolla wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:38 pm
I am curious if someone with PM could confirm this. Say I insert one end of the cable into input channel of PM and when I touch other end of the cable to any of the metal input/output plugs of other modules I get a loud buzz/noise sounds (if that channel is up). I disconnected all my external gear and same happens both when using speakers or on only headphones. Does this sound like a grounding issue on my part? Could be that nothing to do with performance mixer of course.
Yup I had the same problem with one of my cases. It wasn't the WMD, it was any connection. Try it with a different mixer if you have one, or attenuator.
In my case it was something to do with 0V and a potential difference between cases. I solved it with a ground cable to my case (which was one of the old Amalgamod cases).

I suspect its a power supply issue rather than the WMD...

rocknrolla
Common Wiggler

Post by rocknrolla » Tue May 04, 2021 1:11 am

drxcm wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:31 am

Yup I had the same problem with one of my cases. It wasn't the WMD, it was any connection. Try it with a different mixer if you have one, or attenuator.
In my case it was something to do with 0V and a potential difference between cases. I solved it with a ground cable to my case (which was one of the old Amalgamod cases).

So is that related to ground loop or is that something else? Also what do you mean "it was any connection"? I only have a single case (two power strips) so I'm not really sure how to start troubleshooting this.

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Tue May 04, 2021 1:44 am

rocknrolla wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:11 am
drxcm wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:31 am

So is that related to ground loop or is that something else? Also what do you mean "it was any connection"? I only have a single case (two power strips) so I'm not really sure how to start troubleshooting this.
Any connection = if my output was going to my interface, any connection to that output created a loud buzz if I touched the tip of the cable to any socket. Once the cable was in place - no noise.

I posted a video of it here watch at about 40sec.

Apparently SMPS supplies with bricks that have no mains earth connection create a 'floating' 0V derived from the +12V and -12V. If this is then plugged into something else (eg your interface, monitors etc) that has a different 0V reference, then you have a potential difference that can cause ground loop / buzz.

rocknrolla
Common Wiggler

Post by rocknrolla » Tue May 04, 2021 2:43 am

drxcm wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:44 am

Any connection = if my output was going to my interface, any connection to that output created a loud buzz if I touched the tip of the cable to any socket. Once the cable was in place - no noise.

I posted a video of it here . watch at about 40sec.

Apparently SMPS supplies with bricks that have no mains earth connection create a 'floating' 0V derived from the +12V and -12V. If this is then plugged into something else (eg your interface, monitors etc) that has a different 0V reference, then you have a potential difference that can cause ground loop / buzz.
Thanks for sharing! I am still trying to figure out if in my case it's even an issue. Because if one cable is inside the mixer's channel and i am just touching stuff around with the other end of the cable, isn't that the case that I am just sending ground signal to channel? So therefore isn't that expected that buzzing/noise sound will be heard?

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Tue May 04, 2021 7:12 pm

Ground should be no signal / 0v so no

Return to “Eurorack Modules”