OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

OXI ONE performative sequencer brought to you by
two partners: Manuel -engineer & project manager and Ales -marketing & administration.

Moderators: Kent, Oxi Instruments, CarlosUnch, manuwind

manuwind
Learning to Wiggle

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by manuwind » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:27 pm

We are considering adding a selectable gate voltage to the hw. One around 5V and a second one around 10V so we can cover most of the cases.
DIN clock also supported by means of an adapter.
Hz/V will be implemented in future fw releases.

adam s
º¿º

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by adam s » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:19 pm

dogoftears wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:31 pm
adam s wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:11 pm
I have a question about CV interfacing this with various systems. The specs on the website state:
CVs outputs from -3V to 5V (8 octave range)
5V gate outputs
For systems that utilize -5/+5v and 0-10v CV ranges how would this device be used cover the full range (eg, fully opening a BugBrand VCA)?
you're going to open a VCA with a sequencer output? if using for velocity, it's going to be combined with an EG, you only really need about half the voltage range for most velocity applications. if using to trigger bug EGs, they have a threshold of about 2 volts, so 5 volt triggers are no problem. the blacet EG1 otoh, actually needs 10 whole volts to trigger.

and as for pitch, volts only imply the octave range, so it's just a difference between having 10 octaves available or 8.

so only in the case that you want to use a pitch or velocity output as the actual means of entirely opening a vca would this become a problem. and in this case you are indeed 2 volts shy and it's a little tricky to add exactly that much to a signal (though you could use a joystick output and a dc mixer to fudge it together).
VCA was just one example, but yeah I like to do stepped volume modulation in my sequences so I would be using a CC->CV on a vca. But the question applies to anything that wants full 0-10v or full -5v. Anyhow I guess there are workarounds with intermediate cv processors but I’d love a sequencer that can address the full range of CV inputs on any sort of module.

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:37 pm

manuwind wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:27 pm
We are considering adding a selectable gate voltage to the hw. One around 5V and a second one around 10V so we can cover most of the cases.
DIN clock also supported by means of an adapter.
Hz/V will be implemented in future fw releases.
:tu:

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:14 am

adam s wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:19 pm
VCA was just one example, but yeah I like to do stepped volume modulation in my sequences so I would be using a CC->CV on a vca. But the question applies to anything that wants full 0-10v or full -5v. Anyhow I guess there are workarounds with intermediate cv processors but I’d love a sequencer that can address the full range of CV inputs on any sort of module.
#metoo

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:44 pm

Here's a little showcase of motion recording at work. Hope you enjoy it!

kinkujin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kinkujin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:24 pm

When please?

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:16 am

I'd like to comment on the handedness. As a right handed person I'd find the majority of button pressing over on the left, crossing the body. Pyramid was like this too. Any reasoning behind this decision?

Dymaxion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dymaxion » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:06 am

as a lefty, I actually really dislike this layout in all the ways that I usually dislike righty-optimized stuff, so while I'd welcome the swap, you might not actually? (That said, no particular fault of Oxi here, almost everything is like that. Bless Midiphy for the flipped version of the Sea v4+)

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:38 am

kinkujin wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:24 pm
When please?
Launch planned for April!

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:00 am

mongrol wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:16 am
I'd like to comment on the handedness. As a right handed person I'd find the majority of button pressing over on the left, crossing the body. Pyramid was like this too. Any reasoning behind this decision?
As a right handed person myself, you'll see that the unit is compact enough to being able to use any hand on the left buttons and encoders without any issues, except for multipress events that involves the grid. Also getting use for the left to use the buttons and encoders takes no time, it's natural like writing in a keyboard with both hands, there's no learning curve. Anyway, we decided to have the grid in one side from the modifier buttons instead of top to bottom (on top of compactness) because when playing the grid you'd actually cross arms when reaching for an encoder or a multipress event. We think this is the best layout for the UI we've designed.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:16 am

I feel that there are many other ergonomic factors to be considered, that are controlled by the user (such as desk height, body positioning, placement angle, session length, movement breaks etc), that impact on a users experience far more than the 'handedness' variable noted above.

Ray Finkle
Common Wiggler

Post by Ray Finkle » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:55 am

Any idea what brexit will do to VAT/shipping/handling prices to the uk..?

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:12 pm

Why did I have to scroll through the entire page linked above, as well as click various "learn more" things, only to go back to the main Home page again, scroll all the way to the bottom, and then sorta kinda see a picture that shows, at a very steep angle, a little bit of the connectivity?

Even in specs, none of the connectivity is listed. Why not have a picture, near the top of the page, that shows a detailed look at the back of the unit, instead of having a prospective buyer scroll and click all around the page and still be unable to see the I/O?

Am I alone here? Does nobody else want to know about connectivity along with feature set? It's possibly shown in one of the five or six videos you have prominently displayed right at the top, but am I alone in not wanting to skip around five videos just to see the connectivity?

Not trying to be harsh, but a simple picture of the back of the unit should not be completely absent from your website/marketing, I think.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:20 pm

Peng33 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:12 pm
Not trying to be harsh, but a simple picture of the back of the unit should not be completely absent from your website/marketing, I think.
You are definitely right. We will have the last (hopefully) hardware revision ready very soon and we plan to have proper photos taken. The current proto has only 4 cv outs so there's no point of posting it, it may lead to misinformation.

Here's a picture of the case design I/O:

mongrol
Common Wiggler

Post by mongrol » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:38 pm

Technologear? wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:16 am
I feel that there are many other ergonomic factors to be considered, that are controlled by the user (such as desk height, body positioning, placement angle, session length, movement breaks etc), that impact on a users experience far more than the 'handedness' variable noted above.
Yeah you're right. Kit can and does sit all over the place so the ergo's of handedness is probably irrelevant. I think this popped into my head as when I had the Pyramid I was constantly hanging over it to see it's crappy screen and the poor ergonomics of its design lingers in my head.

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:32 am

CarlosUnch wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:20 pm
Peng33 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:12 pm
You are definitely right. We will have the last (hopefully) hardware revision ready very soon and we plan to have proper photos taken. The current proto has only 4 cv outs so there's no point of posting it, it may lead to misinformation.

Here's a picture of the case design I/O:

Im still following this with interest, it’s looking very promising so far. The recordable cv modulation is brilliant. I’m wondering though, whether the cv and gates outputs would make more sense grouped in pairs. If I use CV1 and Gate 1 for the same synth (which is pretty likely) I’d have to extend two cables from different ends of the Oxi to the synth or module. Multiply that by 3 or 4 synths = spaghetti junction

Edit: I know this is extremely unlikely, but is there any chance to have 2 rows of cv? Like it’s arranged now, but 16 more outputs directly below the existing row of cv/gate, for additional modulation

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:07 am

Wow, with the (impressive) number of CV outs, this is shaping up to be one of the best standalone sequencers for use with modular. This looks like it will far outclass the Keystep Pro (apart from no native keyboard) and Beatstep Pro... :hyper:

I would like to echo the suggestion to group Cv1/Gate1, Cv2/Gate2, etc.

Will the unit perform as a midi to cv converter as well? And does it support midi-thru, allowing it to be inserted in the middle of a MIDI control chain instead of only on the end? These are some of the painful shortcomings on the Keystep Pro.
Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:48 am

bmot wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:32 am
Im still following this with interest, it’s looking very promising so far. The recordable cv modulation is brilliant. I’m wondering though, whether the cv and gates outputs would make more sense grouped in pairs. If I use CV1 and Gate 1 for the same synth (which is pretty likely) I’d have to extend two cables from different ends of the Oxi to the synth or module. Multiply that by 3 or 4 synths = spaghetti junction

Edit: I know this is extremely unlikely, but is there any chance to have 2 rows of cv? Like it’s arranged now, but 16 more outputs directly below the existing row of cv/gate, for additional modulation
Thank you!
There's no way to add 16 outputs more, that's the case design side view, so there's literally no space. Oxi One is compact. Watch for the MKII :)

The reason we've added this layout is because the CV and Gate are configurable in the machine itself with a grid dedicated page, so you can very easily change which parameter is going to the output without stoping the sequencer at all, this is an added layer for performance that it's quite innovative. Also, we've created "triggered envelopes" for the CV outputs, that is an AD envelope which decay is linked to gate value and amplitude is linked to velocity value, this way you have a VCA/LPG ready and very dynamic modulation source. We think you'll be using more CV1 and CV2 to carry one voice ;)
Let me give you an example:

CV1 sends pitch from voice 1 of sequencer 1 and CV2 sends an AD depending on gate and velocity of voice 1. With the press of a button, the CV2 can change to send the clocked LFO of that sequencer, which creates a transition in sound. Same with CC recording, that can be the source of modulation linked to any CV. You'll have the option to offset and invert these sources of modulation so you have an inverted copy of you LFOs or CCs coming directly out of Oxi One. Same with Gates, you'll have voice selection and clock divisions selection with the press of a button.

This way you are not locked to any preset configuration of cv/gate outputs, you decide how many voices of one Chord sequencer you want to route, up to 8, for example. All this easily done within the machine and no menu diving at all.
WarpHead wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:07 am
Wow, with the (impressive) number of CV outs, this is shaping up to be one of the best standalone sequencers for use with modular. This looks like it will far outclass the Keystep Pro (apart from no native keyboard) and Beatstep Pro... :hyper:

I would like to echo the suggestion to group Cv1/Gate1, Cv2/Gate2, etc.

Will the unit perform as a midi to cv converter as well? And does it support midi-thru, allowing it to be inserted in the middle of a MIDI control chain instead of only on the end? These are some of the painful shortcomings on the Keystep Pro.
We do think Oxi One will stand out by itself even with the bigger names out there for the reasons I gave above, and maaany more. Its CV/Gate output configuration gives tons of control to the user without having a hard learning curve. Easy to use for folks that don't want to dig deep and still intuitive for people that want to take the most out of this 4 sequencer in 1 powerhouse.

Oxi One not only has MIDI to cv, but cv to MIDI (clock input doubles as a cv in for internal parameter mapping or MIDI out), but MIDI Bluetooth and MIDI TRS to CV back and forth too. It will support MIDI thru, yes!

Quiet Wilds
Common Wiggler

Post by Quiet Wilds » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:46 am

Is this only able to be powered via micro USB? When will manufacturers learn not to make those crappy and incredibly breakable ports a critical structural component? Jesus.

ix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ix » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:17 am

Will microtonal support ever be an option ? and is it capable of unquantized cv ?

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:58 am

Quiet Wilds wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:46 am
Is this only able to be powered via micro USB? When will manufacturers learn not to make those crappy and incredibly breakable ports a critical structural component? Jesus.
Not micro usb, it’s USB C. And it’s battery powered as well!

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:10 am

ix wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:17 am
Will microtonal support ever be an option ? and is it capable of unquantized cv ?
While not creating custom microtonal scales (for now), now glide and pitch bend per step allow you to do this, with pitch bend being the more controllable one. Of course, all this is affecting cv out, so you can have unquantized cv already implemented :)

One of the LFOs destination is pitch bend so you can automate it too, super fun!

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:49 pm

Here's a visualization on how CV OUT configuration layout works on Oxi One.
We are kinda proud of how it works :)

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:59 pm

CarlosUnch wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:58 am
Not micro usb, it’s USB C. And it’s battery powered as well!
OK, that's a definite point in your favour :sb:

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:11 pm

How easy is it to hook up an external midi keyboard and live print a polyphonic take (live played chord progressions, with flourishes, different notes being sustained, etc) to one of the sequencer tracks?

If you nail that, this thing will likely destroy any of its peers...
Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

Return to “OXI Instruments”