OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

OXI ONE performative sequencer brought to you by
two partners: Manuel -engineer & project manager and Ales -marketing & administration.

Moderators: Kent, Oxi Instruments, CarlosUnch, manuwind

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by 22tape » Mon May 03, 2021 7:24 pm

MDurden wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:00 pm
And the feature set of the OXI one is definitely comparable to that of the deluge.
Deluge is a standalone workstation with unlimited sample time and onboard synth engines. OXI doesn't. They are in different categories.

==========

Editor/writer-- The SissyFuss

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: OXI ONE - Powerful and expressive sequencer for DAW, MIDI gear and Modular rigs

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon May 03, 2021 7:33 pm

MDurden wrote:
And the feature set of the OXI one is definitely comparable to that of the deluge.
No, it really is not. The Oxi One doesn't do audio. At all.

MDurden
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MDurden » Mon May 03, 2021 7:36 pm

22tape wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:24 pm
MDurden wrote:
Deluge is a standalone workstation with unlimited sample time and onboard synth engines. OXI doesn't. They are in different categories.
You are correct. I was really referring to the sequencer capabilities, not the devices as a whole. That's also what Loopop was referencing whenever he mentioned it in his review.

MDurden
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MDurden » Mon May 03, 2021 7:37 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:33 pm
MDurden wrote:
No, it really is not. The Oxi One doesn't do audio. At all.
You are correct. I was really referring to the sequencer capabilities, not the devices as a whole. That's also what Loopop was referencing whenever he mentioned it in his review.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon May 03, 2021 7:38 pm

MDurden wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:37 pm
You are correct. I was really referring to the sequencer capabilities, not the devices as a whole.
Not very well, it seems.

MDurden
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MDurden » Mon May 03, 2021 7:40 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:38 pm
MDurden wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:37 pm
You are correct. I was really referring to the sequencer capabilities, not the devices as a whole.
Not very well, it seems.
What do you mean by not very well?

PeteCT
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PeteCT » Mon May 03, 2021 9:28 pm

Richard deHove wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:29 pm
As I watched the video I thought he seemed very flat and unexcited. I'd better rewatch to check if his eyes were blinking 'SOS'.
Yes exactly, I thought the same. I watch all his stuff, and this vid was uncharacteristic. I want to like the Oxi One because of the awesome feature set, but I have to say, the review was not positive. He finds it unrefined and not consistent in its UI.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Tue May 04, 2021 3:43 am

PeteCT wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:28 pm
Richard deHove wrote:
As I watched the video I thought he seemed very flat and unexcited. I'd better rewatch to check if his eyes were blinking 'SOS'.
Yes exactly, I thought the same. I watch all his stuff, and this vid was uncharacteristic. I want to like the Oxi One because of the awesome feature set, but I have to say, the review was not positive. He finds it unrefined and not consistent in its UI.
I did get this too but like others have said, it’s a prototype. The campaign launches today, it’s not being released. I imagine between now and it’s actual release, the main focus is firmware refinements.

Pure speculation, but loopop may have just been a bit under the weather? Oxi obviously wanted the video out for the campaign launched so it may have been a tad rushed? Either way, I’m till pretty hyped for this. I’ve been using the keystep pro since launch and the bugs and lack of updates have killed my buzz with it. From how responsive Oxi have been so far, I don’t get the feeling this will be like that at all.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Tue May 04, 2021 5:25 am

What Loopop have at hand is a prototype that will have 5-6 months of intense beta testing (currently the units we could manufacture were limited), and thus refinement. There are some rough edges and implementations that need more dedication, but have in mind this is a prototype, even if it totally looks as a finished product from the outside. For me that’s the main point.

Ziv (loopop) said: “I’m keeping OXI One right in front of me on the table as my MIDI keyboard so feel free to send updates”

He’s not putting OXI aside even after the video you’ve seen, and he does that with pretty much all the gear he reviews.

This means a lot to me. He is very excited with what OXI One can already do and all the potential it has, but of course, still a prototype and still time to refine every little aspect.

Right now the main grip is that some actions doesn't work as expected for the average user.

We knew what would happen when sending a prototype for review, but the outcome has been very positive as we reached many more possible backers :)

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue May 04, 2021 5:27 am

PeteCT wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:28 pm
Richard deHove wrote:
He was uncharacteristically evasive about what was broken/missing at the moment, even for a prototype. I wonder if he was asked to keep it under his hat. That alone has made me rethink my default position of getting on this one. I've had too many weird/buggy instruments lately, so this might be a warning worth heeding.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Tue May 04, 2021 5:33 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:27 am
I wonder if he was asked to keep it under his hat.
We don't send a prototype to Loopop expecting a biased review. He was our choice for a reason.

Bilb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bilb » Tue May 04, 2021 6:08 am

Email hasn't come through yet but here's the campaign:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/oxi- ... controller#/

Bilb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bilb » Tue May 04, 2021 6:23 am

Bilb wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:08 am
Email hasn't come through yet but here's the campaign:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/oxi- ... controller#/
Email came through about a minute later heh... FYI the actual link for the early backer discount wasn't visible in Windows Mail, I had to click "view in browser" to see it. Looking forward to getting the finished product!

modularbeat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by modularbeat » Tue May 04, 2021 9:20 am

Been following this project for a while and I think it might be the first crowdfunded project I've supported. The development seems to be progressing very rapidly so I feel confident that it will be robust by the time it ships.

The Loopop Review did feel pretty strange compared to his usual content. Seems like it would have been more appropriate to call it a Preview and drop the rushed apples-to-oranges comparison to things like the Deluge and Pyramid.

OXI Pipe is a cool surprise. Curious if that would just be a snake that plugs into all the CV/Gate/clock ports or if there is some other way it would attach?

Mini HDMI port. Sweet!
Last edited by modularbeat on Tue May 04, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue May 04, 2021 9:21 am

I was unable to successfully pre-order.

Wells fargo bank considered the initial attempt "suspicious", but i verified it online, and they said to retry it. Declined again. Bank says that it's approved but being declined by the "merchant". Whom exactly do I speak to? this is infuriating, but of course, it's being done for my own "protection"

edit. finally got it through another card. The declined card satisfied all of their listed requirements. lots of idiocy like having to have indiegogo email me to reset my password, but then have that password fail. Eventually worked using the original email link only (not sure why).

just a heads up that indiegogo doesn't seem to have their approval mechanism set up reliably.
Last edited by Nelson Baboon on Tue May 04, 2021 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bilb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bilb » Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 am

modularbeat wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:20 am
OXI Pipe is a cool surprise. Curious if that would just be a snake that plugs into all the CV/Gate/clock ports or if there is some other way it would attach?
Seems almost identical to the Rack Plumber HD by Plum Audio with a couple of extra connections, that relies on a snake to connect to the BSP but as it says "the proper interface will be added to Oxi if we reach this goal" then I guess they'll add a HDMI port? Shame it doesn't say what the threshold is, would be very keen to have that, especially as a cheap PCB/panel DIY option!

Edit: confirmed

modularbeat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by modularbeat » Tue May 04, 2021 10:08 am

Bilb wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 am
…I guess they'll add a HDMI port? Shame it doesn't say what the threshold is, would be very keen to have that, especially as a cheap PCB/panel DIY option!
It's a mini HDMI per an earlier response from @CarlosUnch

Sounds like OXI will be updating the goals throughout the campaign per the OXI forum: "The goals will be updated during the campaign, sorry for the confusion!"

Bilb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bilb » Tue May 04, 2021 10:13 am

modularbeat wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:08 am
Bilb wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 am
…I guess they'll add a HDMI port? Shame it doesn't say what the threshold is, would be very keen to have that, especially as a cheap PCB/panel DIY option!
It's a mini HDMI per an earlier response from @CarlosUnch

Sounds like OXI will be updating the goals throughout the campaign per the OXI forum: "The goals will be updated during the campaign, sorry for the confusion!"
Ah so they've got their own forum, so many places to look for info! I'll chill for now and just follow the backer updates via email.

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Tue May 04, 2021 10:33 am

Congrats to the team for reaching the funding goal so quickly! I'm in too, backed it today.

I must confess the Loopop video was underwhelming and didn't raise my excitement for the Oxi One. But just look at it in context: right now there's around half a year before it's released, so that's a lot of work to go still. It's definitely a good sign that he even bothered to make a video. I'm still expecting an amazing sequencer for a very good price.

So anyway, i've now backed the campaign, + the add-on midi splitter and cable. Hoping for a few stretch goals to be activated - I would especially love pressure sensitive pads. Actually, just 2 pads would be fine, for finger drumming. I hate having to add velocity to each step manually. I'm not sure if 2 extra pads could fit on the current design, so it might have to be 2 nominated pads from the grid.

@Oxi Team: what about stretch goal #1 for 2x pressure pads, stretch goal #2 for 1 octave's worth of pads?

Edit: here's what i mean by 2 velocity pads
vpads.JPG
vpads.JPG (45.16 KiB) Viewed 314 times
Last edited by bmot on Tue May 04, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Tue May 04, 2021 11:07 am

Haha that's not bad idea. But developing x2 vel sensitive pads takes almost the same effort than developing 128.
The difference would be the cost increase I guess.
I'll share it with the team.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue May 04, 2021 11:15 am

i want to emphasize that the issues that I had were with indiegogo solely, and that my interactions with oxi have been great.

I should also clarify what i wrote about the loopop video. My point was that I don't think that he really gets sequencers, not that this was a luke warm review to the oxi one. I just don't see that he has spent much time with stuff like (take your pick), the cirklon, schrittmacher, or some of the other less well known more 'high end' sequencers. What I would really want in a video like this is some kind of excursion that shows you some of the more adventurous things that you could actually do with this sequencer vs some of the others, rather than just a walk through of feature by feature.

but in no way did his review dissuade me (I pre-ordered as soon as i could) I was just disappointed that he didn't do anything more interesting with it.

modularbeat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by modularbeat » Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 am

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:15 am
What I would really want in a video like this is some kind of excursion that shows you some of the more adventurous things that you could actually do with this sequencer vs some of the others, rather than just a walk through of feature by feature.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I was a little surprised when Ziv said "If you're into grid sequencing and have the cash, the Deluge is a better option…" which seems a bit reductive since this is so highly dependent on the use-case. I'd argue that if you want a pure sequencer for, say, Eurorack, the One stands out for the generative/modulation/harmony features and generous CV/Gate options vs. the 2x CV/gate pair on the Deluge. Bit of a head-scratcher there.

Anyway, not to turn this into a thread bashing Loopop. The review was informative and it's always a good sign when I watch something has clearly has no hype and still gets me stoked about the possibilities in my workflow.
Last edited by modularbeat on Tue May 04, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue May 04, 2021 11:58 am

modularbeat wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 am
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:15 am
What I would really want in a video like this is some kind of excursion that shows you some of the more adventurous things that you could actually do with this sequencer vs some of the others, rather than just a walk through of feature by feature.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I was a little surprised when Ziv said "If you're into grid sequencing and have the cash, the Deluge is a better option…" which seems a bit reductive since this is so highly dependent on the use-case. I'd argue that if you want a pure sequencer for, say, Eurorack, the One stands out for the generous CV/Gate options vs. the 2x CV/gate pair on the Deluge. Bit of a head-scratcher there.

Anyway, not to turn this into a thread bashing Loopop. The review was informative and it's always a good sign when I watch something has clearly has no hype and still gets me stoked about the possibilities in my workflow.
sure. i'm glad i watched the loopop video, and will probably do so again (though as they add features, it will become more obsolete).

but i can tell - when someone compares this to an instrument that is not primarily a step sequencer (like the deluge, which is a fine piece of gear), then I kind of know that they don't really get it. And even if you compare to the elektron sequencers....i like the elektron sequencer paradigm, but when compared to instruments that are designed primarily around doing interesting things with sequencing, they fall short. There are probably quite a few people who comment on these threads, who would be better off with a deluge, or an elektron, or even a keystep, etc, because they are not really interesting in pushing the boundaries of what can be done with hardware sequencing.

Slic
Common Wiggler

Post by Slic » Wed May 05, 2021 2:30 pm

Yeh, I had and sold my deluge- it was a ton of fun by I ended up just using it for sequencing other hardware. The OXI is perfect for me as a main modular sequencer (which is why I have ordered one) and also bringing in some poly hardware via midi. The Deluge also stared out pretty basic and added more and more great features over time. I am confident the OXI will also improve greatly (probably before it is even launched) as the OXI Team are really passionate about this project (which has already been around for quite some time) and that at the end of the day is what makes a product like this have the potential truly great....possible even the best step sequencer ever! :yay:

I think the harmoniser function looks amazing for live arranging/performance...

CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch » Wed May 05, 2021 4:47 pm

The Harmonizer feels like cheating honestly. I wasn't doing a lot of melodic stuff other than a mono lead or a fixed chord in Plaits, but with Harmonizer plus the chord mode it's too easy not to do it.

We are as excited as you about all what is added to OXI One, basically because It'll be the instrument I use, same for the rest of the team.
We want to keep adding stuff that can fit reasonably within the UI, so expect from us more updates even before release :D We also want to keep ideas for future updates of course, plus all the community request that we have to filter, but we've received great ideas so far and we are already thinking on how to fit them in OXI One.

Just to give an idea of some stuff that has been added after the first VIP reservations happened:

* HARMONIZER mode
* Keyboard with CHORD triggering, Mutes, solos, Rolls, etc
* BLUETOOTH dual role CENTRAL+Peripheral (only peripheral was planned)
* 32 MODULATION LANES RECORDING
* 128 STEPS length sequences
* Random to SKIP (skip per step ignores the timing of the step making the seq shorter shorter, and skip can be randomized to have variable length seqs each bar. This is a fav of mine.
* LOGIC TRIGGERS ( A | B style triggering)
* Up to 32 MIDI Channels (2 USB virtual ports and 2 MIDI ports OXI Split)
* Enriched ARRANGER mode with progress bars, 16 SONGS per project and clip launch

So now our priority is make economically doable adding pressure sensitive pads, but just because I want my unit to have it, it won't happen otherwise D:

Return to “OXI Instruments”