1,000 oscillator drone

Mostly Modular Flying

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

bubblefunk
Common Wiggler

1,000 oscillator drone

Post by bubblefunk » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:13 pm

i just had to share this video i accidentally stumbled on the other day for all the haters of my sequencer free skiff that's mostly oscillators and filters.

SOMEONE had to share this

Flounderguts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: 1,000 oscillator drone

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:16 pm

Interestingly, the only place I ever see *mention* of the cosmo format is on the LMNC forum. Even the arbiters and cataloguers of the many formats seem to miss that!

They have a nice community forum over there...lots of people porting euro and MOTM stuff to cosmo or Kosmo or whatever.
----------------------

Flounderguts

thelowerrhythm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:42 pm

bubblefunk wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:13 pm
i just had to share this video i accidentally stumbled on the other day for all the haters of my sequencer free skiff that's mostly oscillators and filters.

Always inspired by his builds. In yhe process of selling my last sequencer in my main case.
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."

***Note: if you're reading a post of mine, there is a 45.67% chance I asked a stupid question because I got excited and didn't properly google something.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:37 am

My rack is for harsh noise and drone. No sequencer in the rack. I think most people here already watch LMNC. There are at least 5 videos on this same project from him.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:26 am

This monster does not produce a drone, it produces noise (not even white….)

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:45 pm

Basically those are just 100 harmonics of one waveform + plus all the instability of each VCO added together. I imagine that these are not pure sine waves either so there has to be a ton of waveform cancelation taking place amount all those VCOs harmonics themselves.
Fun project but a couple of wavetable VCOs with complex waveforms could also get you there too.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:02 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:45 pm
Basically those are just 100 harmonics of one waveform + plus all the instability of each VCO added together. I imagine that these are not pure sine waves either so there has to be a ton of waveform cancelation taking place amount all those VCOs harmonics themselves.
Fun project but a couple of wavetable VCOs with complex waveforms could also get you there too.
I have watched every video he put out with this machine. he tunes it to major or minor or power chords. it takes an entire day to tune it to a chord. it sounds like nothing else. they all drift to different amounts. no modulation needed. when you have 3 to 5 VCO they start beating and canceling. when you have 10 VCO it starts sounding muddy. when you have 1000 it sounds like a massive choir mixed with wind and reverb. but it doesn't sound like chorus and reverb. it just has a unique sound. I don't expect to be able to clone that sound with anything digital. I don't think I can clone it with 10 analog VCO's through FX. don't forget that analog summing mixers also sound different than digital software based DAW mixing. I really think he invented something that has never been done before and people think it is just some click bait youtube gimmick. even if it wasn't his intention to do something academic, I think this is on the level of the RCA synthesizer or telharmonium in terms of research and historical significance. It is a shame that there is not any research paper documenting the details of the spectra and psycho acoustic properties.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:38 pm

EYG, get over there and make the study happen!

I love the 1000 osc wall too!
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:47 pm

bubblefunk wrote:

He's never 6ft.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:23 pm

I've said it before. I like how LNMC is maturing. He's doing a *very* good job of building a brand in the 'right' ways. I am also a fan of this project and agree with EYG that this deserves more attention and intention. Hopefully the museum gets opened -Covid ends- and that will make it easier for others to do the kind of experiments and research to support that idea.

It was also this project which completed the changing of my opinion of LMNC when during the early part of Covid he was a guest on a vid-podcast. And he was soldering away like a madman truly committed man on the PCBs for this project. Keeping an ear to the conversation. Adding his voice at times and never losing a beat on making YAO4theKO.

As PeterG said, it's a knockout. If looks could kill they probably will. Games without frontiers indeed. :tu: LMNC.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

TheRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by TheRabbit » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:16 pm

bubblefunk wrote:

Look Mum No Computer is the shiz.

Robscorch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Robscorch » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:03 am

2nded Look Mum No Computer is amazing content. I hope one day I can get overseas so I can go visit the museum and possibly hang out. Might even have to bring over a few circuit bent donations. :goo:
I've got some stuff for sale check it out here
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:55 am

i have nothing but the utmost respect for sam and the dedication he has to his craft and vision for the museum. the ted talk he did was pretty memorable as well.

Return to “Synth Drone”